When you go out for a hike, you rely on your pair of hiking boots to help protect your feet from different kinds of terrain, bugs, plants and other elements you can face outdoors. It is just proper that you know how to properly take care of it so that you can use it for more hiking adventures to come. Hiking shoes don’t come cheap just like the merrell moab mid waterproof. This is also a very good reason why you need to know how to take care of it. You can preserve it and make it last by doing the simple things found below.
- Break in your new boots – Before you take your new hiking boots on your hiking trail, you first need to break them in. Breaking them in will help you to become more comfortable in using them as you hike. You can do this by making use of your boots while inside the house or when you go out to walk. When buying boots like this, you should make sure to wear the kind of socks that you will also be using once you are going to take the hike. This will help you with the fit of the boot as you wear it in your hike. The boot may be uncomfortable when you wear it on your hike for the first time especially if you don’t break it in so remember to break it in.
- Check your boot – You have to know the condition that your boot is in before you go for a hike so you have to check it. Your boot may be in need of repair or waterproofing and it is best that you do this before your hike or figure it out when you are actually hiking already. You should check for the shoelaces to and make sure that they are not worn out. Check the whole surface and look out for cracks or loose parts.
- Clean your boots regularly – Even if you are currently on the hike, you should still be cleaning your boot regularly. Although the amount of cleaning you can do is not comparable to what you can do at home, basic cleaning of it while on the hike can help make sure that it is intact and useful. Loosen the dirt by tapping your boots together then use a stick to remove the mud out of the soles. Remove any debris inside the boot by turning it upside down. You should also let your boot dry in case it got wet. A faster way to do it is to stuff it with a cloth or some newspaper. After the hike, you should clean your boot thoroughly. Wash it in warm soapy water and allow it to dry but don’t let it soak under direct sunlight.
- Check your boot again – After cleaning, it would be easier for you to see the damage done to your boot. Make sure you mend them first before you keep them and replace any part that needs to be replaced.
- Wipe with leather conditioner – You can make sure that you prevent your boot from cracking while in storage if you apply some leather conditioner to it. This should also be done regularly because it can also dry up if it is not used for a long time.